Saturday, October 4, 2008

Drinking Vinegar, Sweet and Sassy (An Update)

I get a surprising number of hits on my piece about drinking vinegars, "Drinking Vinegar: It Does a Body Good,"which I posted a couple of weeks ago. Within just the past few days, however, several more references to this favorite Asian health tonic have popped up (the Law of Attraction is at work!). Maybe we're paving the way for this to become a new Western trend... ok, maybe not, but I'll take making a few ripples in the pond any day...

For those of you catching on to the hype about this sassy little sipper, here are a couple of sites worth noting:

The blog This Time in Seoul is run by a freelance photographer and writer (such as I aspire to be!) who has returned to Seoul after previously spending a year here. I'm already getting some great tips from her on places to explore for good drinks, eats, and haunts in and around the big city.

She did a piece last year on an unusual theme cafe, which, after my success in exposing you to the finer pleasures of drinking vinegar (wink), may be as tantalizing to you as it is to me. I, for one, would definitely like to check it out.
Vinegar Cafe: Vine Eau

And another blog, My Korean Diet, is written by a Korean native who has been living in L.A. for the past seven years. So you get the "insider's" perspective on this whole drinking thing. Even he/she (?) admits a healthy dose of skepticism at first hearing about the vinegar trend... and then being slowly swooned by its magnetic personality :) She gives some great info about the different types of vinegars available in Korea and what to look for on the label (if only I could read the darn things!) so that you know you're getting good quality. You can take a look here:
Drinking Vinegar, Gamsikcho, Hongcho, Heuckcho

Finally, Nyam Kitchen even offers a recipe for concocting your own pomegranate brew so that those not living in the land of the calm can take matters in your own hands. (As it turns out, it's not too complicated, so the only thing holding you back is your own preconceived notions of vinegar as anything other than palatable).
Check here for the scoop: Pomegranate Vinegar Drink

Want more? I'll keep it comin'...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my blog.
I'm about to post something new, it's been awhile.
I'm back in the States, trying to do more new things.

All the best to you!

Felicia, This Time in Seoul
www.nearandfar.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading about the vinegar, I can highly recommend sweet apple, crushed ice, with a dash of mint, and a slice of lemon. Taiwan Magic. Regards drinkingvinegar. The vinegarman. www.drinkingvinegar.com Thanks also for the link! Your now on my favourites!