Saturday, June 21, 2008

Feels Like Home to Me...

It's a good feeling to have my bags unpacked, to look around this itty bitty living space and see that it's starting to resemble something I could call a home. I've rearranged the furniture a few more times (oh no, my inner perfectionist has emerged again!), and I think I've finally found something that works for me.
I've always more or less prided myself on being a person who is content with simplicity. I count it as a pretty big notch on my belt that I managed to live out of one big backpack for five months while tramping around Europe and Morocco a while back. So why has it been somewhat mind-bending to wrap my head around the fact that this little one-room apartment is where it all happens for me? I'm coaching myself through this one, a little at a time. I think once I get some of the outdoors in -- dress up the place with some splashes of color, a potted plant here, maybe an orchid spray there, green, green, everywhere -- it'll feel more like home.
I'm pretty satisfied with the packing choices I made -- it looks like I brought just enough clothing to fill my wardrobe, even a few hangers left over. And the books fill out my desk shelves nicely. All of my spices fit in the freezer (where hopefully, they'll stay fresh for quite some time). And my toiletries are happily sitting on the cabinet shelves inside my little icebox of a bathroom. And I really haven't come across anything yet while unpacking that reeks of impracticality.
I found a huge, glass bowl stashed under the gas range earlier today, while I was cleaning out remnants left behind by the previosu tenant. I got it out and turned it over and over, trying to figure out what it was... much too large for a serving bowl... a punch bowl? (here in Korea? come on!)... It took me a while to realize it was a FISH bowl. I'm now seriously pondering the idea of getting a pet fish (or two?) to keep me company while I'm here. I kind of like the idea of a tranquil little creature to share my home with.... Any name suggestions, anyone?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: