Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Book Review: The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham

Over the past week, mostly since the cluster of cataclymic events which have shaken up my relatively calm and peaceful world, I've been reading a book that has proven to be incredibly profound.

I have been taking my time wandering through its pages, pondering after over a phrase or a paragraph and painting large swaths of yellow with my trusty highlighter to mark the passages that most appeal to me. The book is entitled "The Law of Attraction, The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham," by Esther and Jerry Hicks. It's perhaps a little "out there" for those who come from more traditional religious ideologies. But if you're willing to have an open mind to the sources or channels through which messages can be revealed (as I am), then you will find the wisdom packed into the pages of this book to be invaluable.

The core message of the book is that each of us is responsible for shaping and creating the experiences that make up the fabric of our lives -- the very thoughts that we think are the seeds from which our experiences are born. We are like magnets, bringing into our life experiences the things that occupy our thoughts. We can attract abundance, success, good relationships, money; or we can attract loss, failure, loneliness, and poverty. It is all within us.

I find this message so empowering, and precisely in tune with my own personal philosophy on life, fate, destiny. I can accept that there is a mental and thus spiritual creation of all things before they are physically manifested. I suppose this mentality falls hard on those who choose to see themselves as victims of circumstance. But for those of us willing to take accountability for the direction of our lives, willing to see the connection between not just those things that we do, but the things that come to us, this book is pure inspiration.

If you are interested in learning more about this book, you can visit the following link.

No comments: