Monday, September 29, 2008

Seosanites Unite -- Foreigners on Facebook

Last Thursday night, I rode my bicycle to the Family Mart (Korea's version of the ubiquitous 7-Eleven) near Seosan's movie theater, to meet my good friend Chetty for a mid-week drink and chat. I had sent out an invite to several of the other foreigners that I've befriended in my few months here, and was expecting to see at least a couple of familiar faces sitting under the big, blue, plastic umbrellas on the corner when I pulled up. But I was bemused and surprised to instead find nearly a dozen strangers, including a couple of fresher-than-fresh recruits -- a cute young couple from the U.K., who had literally just arrived in Korea the day prior.

Over the next hour or so of laidback chatter, I realized how much things have changed since I arrived here nearly 3 1/2 months ago... And how my perceptions of Seosan as a small-town, off-the-beaten-path kind of place -- where I'd scarce cross paths with another foreigner for perhaps weeks on end -- has changed as well. I chose to come to Seosan for more reasons, obviously, than a high-rolling social life -- its charms (for me, at least) lay in its supreme accessibility to mountains and the coast, and its decent proximity to the action in Seoul (1h40 by bus isn't bad). Here, I thought, I'll have time to contemplate, meditate, and make progress on a number of personal projects that really don't require involvement by anyone other than myself. And I figured I could live with that, at least for a contract-length year. If I found myself going stir-crazy by that time, I'd just pick up and move on.

As time has passed, though, and as fate has led me smack-dab into the path of one foreigner after another, I've realized that living in Seosan really isn't quite as solitary as I had once imagined. Which isn't a bad thing, at all. It's been an education in human psychology to see how social boundaries that would exist under normal circumstances seem to all but completely fold when members of an absolute minority (such as the foreigners working as English teachers here) meet. It's almost as if we create our own little network not so much for friendship and comraderie, as for support and sanity. Getting together for a late-night conversation in the middle of the work-week, sitting on a street corner amid the trailing taillights of taxi-cabs and neon signs of nearby storefronts, we bond almost without consciousness, as if reaching out to others who also don't "fit" somehow restores our sense of belonging.

After getting home that night, I decided it was time to create an "official network" for all of us Seosan folks, especially so that the new people coming here could have a resource to tap to ease their adjustment. I've lived overseas before, and I know it can be a roller-coaster of a ride, trying to adjust to a new culture, strange foods, an incomprehensible language, and the hundreds of instances, large and small, that separate you from your former world and your place in it. It can all be quite overwhelming. Thanks to Facebook, anyone living in or around Seosan, South Korea, can find, with one click of a button, 25 other instant friends (and surely more to be found, as we get pulled into one another's paths).

And tonight, after connecting via our new Facebook group, "I Live in Seosan (and Surrounds)", about a dozen of us met together for a few rounds of bowling in Seosan's nightlife district. It was again a treat to just unwind and be social without the need to navigate language or cultural boundaries. Even if I do suck at bowling.

And I'm eager to see where this little social experiment of a foreigner community will go over time.... Will we organize activities and meet-ups more regularly? Will our numbers continue to grow? Will we find among ourselves the solution to one of the largest hurdles foreigners face while living abroad: finding a niche and filling social needs? Or will involvement in our own "exclusive foreigner circle" extricate ourselves even more from fitting in to our surroundings? Time will tell... in the meantime, I guess I better start learning a thing or two about bowling!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post, I will be moving to Seosan next week. I am not nervous, but just cant stop wondering what is in store for me.

Moxie said...

Thanks for the feedback, it's been a while now since I left Seosan but it was a great first introduction to Korea for me when I arrived 2 years ago. Big enough that you can find coffeeshops, department stores, and regular buses to the Big City, small enough that all the foreigners know one another and make a great little network of friends. I hope you enjoy!

captain kolo said...

king galbi.... im an englishman who just got into town yesterday, finding things strange as you can imagine.. feel like an alien here. Would you like to meet for a drink? Would be good to meet english speaker for me! Peace x

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm moving to seosan at the end of feb. I'm coming from South Africa. I lived in korea before. But it was more to the east. I'm glad I found this link. It makes me feel like at least there will be some foreign friends to be made. I know you haven't been there in a while, but any advice? Where to go? What to see? How to meet up with fellow foreigners?

Unknown said...

I am a Korean born and raised in Seosan and moved to the United States when I was 16. Now, im back here again as I graduated from college last year. I am glad that you enjoy living in Seosan. It is a nice place to live.

Unknown said...

I am a Korean born and raised in Seosan and moved to the United States when I was 16. Now, im back here again as I graduated from college last year. I am glad that you enjoy living in Seosan. It is a nice place to live.

Unknown said...

Is the group still alive in Seosan? I ask in regards to a friend moving to this area