Thursday, September 18, 2008

Time is Marching On...

You know that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you remind yourself of something you really need to do, and the longer you wait, the more behind you get? That's the feeling I've been trying to dislodge ever since my last major blog catch-up session. I've fallen terribly behind yet again...

Time keeps marching by, and lots keeps happening. As I've crested the three-month mark for my time here in Korea, I realize that some things (namely, ME) don't change the world over... I am pretty much the same person regardless of where in the world I happen to be. So it shouldn't be too surprising that I've managed yet again to create a mountainous list of goals, projects, books to read, topics to study, places to go, and things to experience while in Korea that have gotten me running around in circles. I seem to think I am super-human and have at my disposal a wrinkle in time that allows me to elasticize my day into 59.2 hours instead of the customary 24.
It's time to re-evaluate and prioritize, I suppose, so that I feel a little better about what I'm actually accomplishing.

In all fairness, a lot has transpired since I last wrote:
  • I led my first all-adult English class for some of Seosan's well-known doctors (which subsequently folded when they decided my rate was more than they were willing to pay).
  • I gave my weblog an entirely new look (which was a lot more time-intensive than I had imagined, but I'm really happy with the outcome)
  • I moved to a new apartment (which, though smaller, is a much sunnier, happier place to be). My dungeon days are over :)
  • I traveled to Seoul (yes, actually staying overnight this time) over the Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) holiday weekend, and had a great opportunity to see a unique blending of modern and traditional Korean life as families celebrated around me.
  • I hosted a traveler visiting from Germany, who is making her way through Mongolia, China, and now Korea as part of a gap year experience before returning to her home country to pursue her career.
  • And now, I am trying to get back to some sort of normalcy this week, meanwhile preparing for the bi-monthly written report-and-grading fest which usurped so much of my time two months ago. (I'm hoping I'm a bit more efficient at it this time around, but time will tell).
While there isn't any way to make up for lost time over the past few weeks, I'm hoping to make up for my absence of entries with a peace offering -- I have just finished uploading several new albums to my Flickr account, which includes a whole album of Chuseok festivities (including little children in traditional dress, playing traditional games, making traditional foods, and other fun stuff). And while I won't make any promises, I'm going to TRY to get back around to writing up a bit more about the foregoing events, particularly the Chuseok holiday, so that I can share with you a bit of what I've learned about this important Korean holiday.

And now, I'm behind on my Korean homework, so I'm off to practice some more hangul before starting work for the day! Have a wonderful day, everybody, I'll write again soon!

No comments: