Thursday, September 25, 2008

There's a Cockroach in my Teapot!

I slept like a baby last night, the combination of a steady, light rain through the wee morning hours, an open window filtering cool early-autumn air above my head, and a cozy blanket to warm me. I could have slept in for hours, straddling that fuzzy line between awake and asleep, until I had felt sufficiently lazy and well beyond rested.

But, duty called this morning; I am running against a ticking clock to write up 119 report cards for my students, complete with personal comments, before noon today. And then, this afternoon, I begin administering written tests (which I spent most of last week writing) to those same 119 students. Ugh. This is the ugly side of working at a highly respected private language academy.

So, emerging from my deep slumber, I shuffled across the floor to my cabinet, pulled out my highly prized bag of pure South American Yerba Mate (if you're wondering where I managed to find this in South Korea, don't -- this is one of the "luxury items" I managed to bring along in my luggage.), and set about spooning its loose-leaf contents into my shiny silver measuring spoon.

Just a few weeks ago, while on a shopping trip at the local supermarket, Seosan Mart, I splurged on a shiny new kettle that won my heart when I popped the lid to reveal a steeping chamber for loose-leaf teas. Since that day, it's been put to use on a number of occasions, though I admit I've been a little too lazy lately to boil water on the stovetop, having a filtered water dispenser that emits near-boiling water with the touch of a button. But today, with the rain plinking down and the whisper of autumn breezes beckoning from my open window, a "proper" pot of tea was calling to me.

I'm somewhat of a new kid of the block when it comes to the wide world of teas. Being raised in a Mormon home, teas were always off-limits, with the exception of the occasional fruity herbal tea picked up at the market, or a batch of Mom's "Mormon tea," which was actually a cup of milk warmed on the stove and sweetened with sugar to taste. Over the past few years, however, I've managed to "educate" myself a little about the wonderful world of steeped beverages, and have reached one epiphanic (is that a word?) conclusion: teas are magnificent!

I could go into a soliloquy on the health benefits of teas (with green and Yerba Mate high on my list of healthy favorites), and maybe I will, if you'll indulge me for a minute...

Yerba Mate, a wonder crop of South American origins, is more than a tea, it's a deeply-rooted and treasured tradition. The tea is prepared daily in many countries in the early afternoon, just following siesta, to help enliven and energize the masses as they wake from their tw0-hour nap and get back to work. It's normally prepared in a special cup (a mate cup) and and sipped through a bombilla, which is more or less a steel straw with a built-in filter (so that all the loose leafs don't make their way to your mouth). (I don't know all of this from personal experience... I've yet to make it to South America myself, but I find the whole cultural tradition quite fascinating.)

So other than being a cool South American custom, why Yerba Mate? For starters, it's gentler on the body than coffee, which can tend to cause jitters. In fact, it's even been "prescribed" for use by people who have to stop using caffeine-containing products for health reasons. With its high concentration of pantothenic acid, it prevents overstimulation of your nervous system, so that you get the benefits of increased energy, boosted metabolism (yes, it can boost your metabolic rate by as much as 25%), and reduced appetite, without the jitters that a cuppa joe often brings on. It's non-addictive, and non-habit-forming as well, which my body appreciate. Finally, yerba mate is also high in magnesium, which eases anxiety (how many "energy" drinks do you know that can do that?), and anti-oxidants, which can boost immunity from colds and flus and help cleanse your body of toxins. (You probably didn't figure you'd be reading about South American teas on a Life-in-Korea blog today, did you? Are you sold yet?)

Thanks for the indulgence. Now, back to this morning. Ready to steep my own South American wake-up cup, I lifted the lid off of my shiny metal teakettle, and pulled out the tea leaf basket, only to find a six-legged visitor lurking in the basin of my teapot. A cockroach had somehow managed to crawl its way in! This was mildly disturbing, since I don't normally flavor my teas with insects. Kidding. What's really disturbing is the thought that there are cockroaches in my kitchen... (Okay Dad, I confess, I haven't been washing my dishes up right after dinner, I'll do better!) My only thought is that the little critter crawled inside while my teapot was left to dry upside-down in the dish rack last week. But who really knows...

A thorough scouring and longer-than-normal boiling session later, my teapot was steaming with freshly brewed Yerba Mate and I was again a happy camper. And I'm sipping it now, while the rain still patters outside my window, which reminds me, I've got to get on those 119 report cards pronto...

. . . . . . . . . . .

If you'd like to read more about the tradition of drinking Yerba Mate, check it out here: The Yerba Mate Story
Interested in a PhD perspective on its health benefits? Try this: Does Yerba Mate Contain Any Caffeine?
Ready to buy your own blend and start sipping? Shop here: Loose-Leaf Yerba Mate

3 comments:

Jen said...

I've always wanted to try Yerba Mate! Can you recommend a good place to buy tea in Seosan? I guess I need to buy a kettle too!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried that brand ( not the cockroach). Nice background music too.

Moxie said...

I wish, I wish, I had any clue where to buy yerba mate here in Korea... I brought my stash with me, but maybe there would be something at one of the markets in Seoul... I'd love to know, 'cuz I don't have a backup plan once the teapot empties out....